You must have seen the dartboard kits at your local big box store right?
Generally these kits include the board and the darts. You might think that this is the best way to get everything you need in a single package.
Trust me: Don’t Buy It!
The combination kits have the lowest quality boards and darts, which is the reason why they are priced so low.
Instead, a better option is to purchase both separately.
So, how much should you actually spend for a dartboard?
A lot of review sites will tell you to buy boards that cost hundreds of dollars. The reason why they recommend the higher priced boards is because they get a much higher affiliate commission if you buy them.
The truth is that you can find GREAT dart boards for under $100.
As a beginner, you should not feel the need to empty your wallet. I highly recommend that you spend a reasonable amount of money without overdoing it.
How much does a dartboard cost?
There are different types of dartboards with different prices. Here we will list down the different dartboards along with their price and features. Most of the dartboards will cost less than $100.
1. Viper Shot King Regulation Bristle Steel Tip Dartboard
- Constructed from sisal bristle fibers compressed together, providing unsurpassed durability.
- Features a staple-free bullseye which helps prevent bounce-outs; A movable number ring further extends the dartboard’s life
- Viper Shot King is an official tournament size board, measuring 18″ in diameter and 1.5″ D
- Utilizes thin, rounded galvanized wires that allow darts to slide off the spider and land in the target area
- Includes 2 complete sets of steel tip darts (6 total) and mounting hardware; Dartboard accommodates both steel tip and soft tip darts
- Removable number ring allows you to rotate the dartboard, allowing the fibers to heal, and extending its life
2. TG Champion Tournament Bristle Dartboard
- Dart Set Includes : Wire Spider Web to divide scoring segments. Mounting bracket built into dartboard includes 2 sets of 17g brass darts.
- Full size 18 X 1 paper wound dart board great for beginners and advanced players.
- Two Games in One: Classic 20-point darts and Target bull’s eye game.
3. Winmau Blade 5 Bristle Dartboard
- Professional bristle dartboard with exclusive British Darts Organization (BDO) endorsement
- Increased scoring area with 14% thinner wiring system than the previous generation Blade 4 for higher scoring potential
- Reduced bounce-outs and improved dart deflection with 30-degree reduction in razor wire angle
- Triple Wheel lock-and-level system easily secures the dartboard to virtually any surface
- Incredible durability with Carbon Diffusion technology in bullseye ring for stronger steel
4. Winmau Diamond Plus Tournament Bristle Dartboard
- Official tournament bristle dartboard staple-free bullseye allows higher scores and fewer bounce-outs
- Endorsed by the British Darts Organization; ideal use with steel-tip
- Angled divider wire directs darts for true scores
- Constructed from self-healing sisal fibers tightly bound for maximum durability
- Removable number ring for easy board rotation and extended playing life; board size: 17.75 in. diameter x 1.5 in.
5. Winmau Diamond Plus Tournament Bristle Dartboard
- SAFE DART BOARD and COOL CHECKERS GAME, this quality magnetic dartboard game for kids is a safe indoor games option because of the magnetic darts, so everyone will be safe including the dog and the cat
- DARTS or CHECKERS, ADULTS VERSUS THE KIDS, our double-sided dartboard game will be equally enjoyed by the adults and the kids. You’ll have so much fun with our reversible magnetic dart board irrespective of your age or skill level
- THE QUALITY WILL IMPRESS YOU, our dual magnetic dart or checkers set is composed of high quality material and when your dart hits the dart board, it will NOT be falling off…these magnets pack a real punch
- YOUR MAGNETIC DART BOARD and MAGNETIC CHECKERS INCLUDES, our magnetic dart set and checkers set comes with a 17.5 x 15 inch reversible rollup dart board, 6 darts, a full set of checkers and you can store it away in its own beautifully designed box, which will double as a great gift box if thats the intention..
- OUR GUARANTEE TO YOU, at Giggle N Go, customer satisfaction is our number 1 priority. If you’re not 100% happy with our Magnetic Dart Game, please contact us through your order for a hassle free refund… Also Extra or Replacement darts can be dded to your purchase. Please see promotion below.
Good Depth and Density
Depth and Density are by far the most important factors when choosing a good dartboard.
You definitely do not want your darts bouncing out of the board and falling into the ground. This will not only damage your floors, but will also ruin your experience.
Therefore, it is best that you choose a dartboard that has good depth and density. This combination will make sure that the dart is able to penetrate deeply into the board.
It will also hold the dart in position and allow you to maximize your score.
Wiring Or Spider?
Each dart board contains wiring, which is used to separate the point segments.
This part of the board is also known as the spider.
As a beginner, you might be thinking that this component is probably not important, but I can tell you that you’re mistaken.
The spider is honestly one of the most important aspects of the entire board.
Lower quality dartboards will have rounded wires and this will increase the likelihood of bounce outs. On the other hand, the Higher Quality Dartboards will have embedded or angled wiring, which greatly reduces the chances for bounce outs.
To make sure that you have a great experience without damaging your floors, I highly recommend buying a dartboard with embedded or angled wiring.
The Size of a Dartboard
Even as a beginner, you will want to make sure that you get the best experience humanly possible.
This is why I recommend paying close attention to the size of the board and how it is hung.
For the most realistic experience, you need to get a dartboard that has the diameter of 17 and three-quarter inches or 47.08 centimeters.
The board must be divided into twenty separate sections.
The way you hung the board is also very important.
You will need to hang it with the bullseye exactly 5 feet and 8 inches from the floor.
Then you will need to position your oche 7 feet and 9 inches from the board.
Protect Your Walls
Since you’re a beginner, you are probably going to play darts in your home. If you are careless, you can cause some serious damage to your walls.
Even the best dart players in the world can miss the board completely.
I highly recommend buying a backboard to protect your walls from getting damaged.